A painting by E. Vernon of the old pack horse bridge, which crossed the Blakewater in the centre of Blackburn.
This ancient bridge had stood for centuries until the 1840's when it was demolished and the road widened. The bridge pictured was only 15 feet wide.
To get some perspective, the mill to the right of the image, with the smoke rising from its chimney, was Spring Hill Mill, which was situated above what is the present day Boulevard, sort of in the Cicely direction.
All the properties pictured would have disappeared around the time of the demolition / road widening of the 1840's and in the following few decades. The white gable on the extreme right, is approximately where the White Bull Hotel would be built (probably further back, due to the widening of the road) and where the river disappears off to the left, is where Water Street would be.
COURTESY OF THE COMMUNITY STUDIES DEPT. BLACKBURN LIBRARY (AND BLACKBURN MUSEUM, WHO HAVE THE ORIGINAL PAINTING)
INFORMATION COURTESY OF CP