Looking towards the Preston New Rd area in the distance, from the bottom of Montague St, with the tower of Thomas Whewell's Brewery dominating the scene. This photo dates to 1962 /1963, when this area was being redeveloped.
Thomas Whewell bought the brewery in 1874 and introduced the tower system of brewing to the site. His limited company was sold to Nuttall's (Lion Brewery) in 1925 and production ceased. The buildings had various uses from then until they were demolished in the early 1960's.
PHOTO COURTESY OF J. EDDLESTON
INFORMATION COURTESY OF M. ROTHWELL.